- New AbbVie Contract Manufacturing service offerings include biologics fill-finish, topical creams and ointments, sterile ophthalmic ointments, and custom API.
- Allergan acquisition and capital investments in AbbVie’s network substantially expands service offering and increases manufacturing capacity.
- Expansion adds AbbVie Contract Manufacturing’s end-to-end capability for CMO clients.
Investment in several key areas has expanded AbbVie’s manufacturing network and expertise to its already extensive manufacturing network.
The acquisition of Allergan and capital expenditure enables AbbVie CMO to provide expanded capabilities to clients on several manufacturing fronts in the U.S. and Europe.
“Our third-party (CMO) business has grown substantially over the last 30 years, helping our partners mitigate risk and deliver high-quality medications to patients in need. We have a great legacy of operational excellence and ongoing global expansion. These recent investments allow us to better serve our pharma and biotech partners, from early clinical to commercial launch and ongoing supply,” said Daniela Ottini, VP, External and Contract Manufacturing at AbbVie. “Working with AbbVie CMO gives our clients an opportunity to engage on one technology or take advantage of integrated drug substance and drug product manufacturing for true end-to-end pharmaceutical support and supply chain assurance.”
New manufacturing capabilities—integrated drug substance and drug product options
AbbVie’s recent expansion comes in the form of both new manufacturing sites and expansion of its current sites. Notable additions to the AbbVie CMO offer include:
- Liquid and Lyo (Vial) Drug Product in Sligo and Westport, Ireland.
- Topical creams and ointments in Waco, Texas
- Ophthalmic ointments in Waco, Texas
- Oral solid dose manufacturing in Cork, Ireland
- Hot melt extrusion in Clonshaugh, Ireland
- Custom synthetic small molecule in North Chicago, Illinois
- Highly potent small molecule in Sligo, Ireland
AbbVie’s continued growth and expansion creates a greater set of options for clients across the globe. Adding this expanded service offer with AbbVie’s commitment to pharmaceutical and operational excellence offers the industry a proven pharmaceutical manufacturing partner for many options, including end-to-end integrated services.
Commitment to supply
AbbVie treats every product with the same dedication and comprehensive support as its own. As a result, AbbVie’s customers realize the stability and security from aligning with a leading pharmaceutical company with a reputation for successfully developing and commercializing some of the world’s leading medications. A key part of that reputation is the company’s commitment to strategic, long-range (5–10 years) planning, which ensures both sufficient capacity for all products and the financial ability to make the capital investments required to ensure a stable supply.
AbbVie’s commitment to supply has been previously demonstrated in biologics at the company’s Bioresearch Center of Excellence in Worchester, Massachusetts. CAPEX for expansion was requested, approved, and installed for two recent upgrades, bringing online 18,000L of new capacity within the last eight years to meet growing customer demands.